Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Person of God

As I mentioned before in a previous blog (A Routine Faithfulness), He is faithful
I Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

God is holy, full holiness is hard to understand.  However, the deeper the relationship we have with God the more we gain in this understanding.  In part it is a complete absence of darkness, of sin, of wrong doing.  This one goes hand in hand with the Light.
I Peter 1:16
16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.

As I mentioned earlier today, He is light.
I John 1:5
 5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.

God is love, this one has been so hard for me to grow in.  That He doesn’t just love, He IS love.  He is the epitome of love.  In a world that has seemed to lose the true understanding of love, this is a hard characteristic to explain.  Once we experience it though, we understand the magnitude and power behind it.  The world needs us to continually grasp at a deeper understanding of this (the truth of it) and live it out before them.  It isn’t the” fluffy” Gospel, but rather  the “get your hands dirty” Gospel.
I John 4:8
8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

God is Spirit. I find this one to be refreshing.  Being Spirit goes hand and hand with being omnipresent.  He is everywhere.  Not only is he in everyplace, but His Spirit connects with ours and He resides in our hearts.  What a comfort to know that He is there, no matter where, when we need Him.  He is there when we search for Him, and when we do not.  Amazing.
John 4:24
24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”

He is omnipresent, this goes hand and hand with the Spirit.
Psalm 139:1-16
 1 You have searched me, LORD,
   and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
   you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
   you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue
   you, LORD, know it completely.
5 You hem me in behind and before,
   and you lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
   too lofty for me to attain.
 7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
   Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
   if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
   if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
   your right hand will hold me fast.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
   and the light become night around me,”
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
   the night will shine like the day,
   for darkness is as light to you.
God is omnipotent or all powerful.  Nothing is greater than Him, nothing can overcome Him.  He can make all things happen, and carry out any plan He has.
 Matt 19:26
26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

God is omniscient, He is all knowing. (You Know)
I John 3:20
20 If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and He knows everything.

God is our Creator and the Creator of all things.  Think about that, the depths of the universe, the simplicities that we all rely on so much.  The heart beating in our chest, the lungs that take in air to give oxygen to our blood streams, the brains that we use to think, rationalize, and feel emotion.  It is overwhelming to think of how creative He is.
 Colossians 1:16-17
16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

We covered this one today, but God is our rock
Deuteronomy 32:4
4 He is the Rock, his works are perfect,
   and all his ways are just.
A faithful God who does no wrong,
   upright and just is He.

There are so many other characteristics of God throughout the Bible.  These are just several I have looked up.  The point is to get to know Him, know how to describe Him to those who do not know Him.  With our knowledge and understanding of who He is, we gain credibility with those who do not know Him as we shed light on the depths of who He is.  Yes, God is indescribable in His fullness, but we are called to study Him and get to know Him more so that we can communicate who He is to a world that has no relationship with Him, doesn’t know His character, or His features.  Spend some time, get to know Him in a greater way.  Happy searching.

No comments:

Post a Comment